In a small business, where the owner is used to doing everything from client acquisition to dusting to paying the bills and keeping track of social networks, this can be a difficult change to handle.
How do you get there?
Try these few things before you get started:
- list everything that you do not like to do when it comes to your business
- list everything you are not good at but do anyway for your business
- now cross-reference.....these are the items that you may need to delegate to someone who is good at them, and even better, likes to do them
The key is finding the right person. Start looking in your own network. Chances are if there is someone already delegating this type of work, then they may know someone who can help you too.
When You Start....
- Start slow and small...one person at a time.
- Get into a rhythm of meetings with clear agendas.
- Ensure roles are described including how each links together.
- Let them at it.......and follow up.
All the best to you and your emerging team.
Congratulations on having the courage to make this change!