On each step in the staircase, there are messages that can help create your leadership style. Each step takes you up and to a new opportunity -to climb higher, to stay on the landing and make a decision about which way to turn...go up or down or rest for a while.
Leaders set a vision what the next step looks like - making sure the ladder is going in the right direction (manager helps take people up the ladder).
Here are some steps to consider along your journey:
- Not just what you say, it's what you do...people see action, forget the words, remember the image
- Do the right thing even when no one is watching....your conscience is your guide Self last...leaders teach others, put yourself last in line to ensure that everyone crosses the finish line safely together
- Listen in proportion: 2 vs. 1...you have two ears and one mouth....use them in proportion
- Objective, non-judgmental....objectivity in decision making in necessary, eliminate passing judgement and creating a safe environment to learn and grow makes all the difference.
- Thank people...it's little, but it goes a long way.
- Subtle, intuitive...leadership can be quiet and purposeful, always from the heart, in your heart...and your mind, connected and authentic
- Very small things put together day after day that create consistency and build a culture.
- Build relationships... remembering an event, a concern, a name, an important date can make a huge difference in someones life...even though it may seem small to us.