Thursday, March 13, 2014

Ban Bossy

Banbossy.com


I was sent this great website by my friend Martha Reavley from the Odette School of Business at the University of Windsor.  Having some time to finally sit for a minute, I reviewed the site.  

I felt validated. (I have long been known as the bossy middle child, with an array of nicknames including Scary, Ice Princess, Bossy Pants and more.....I know that because you can't always make out what people call you when they are mumbling!)

I felt that I was - and still am - on the right track. (I learned that it's who I am & what I believe & how I act that makes me, me.)

I feel that there is more to this than meets the eye, Margaret Wente.  (There is a saying - sticks and stones may break my bones but words can hurt forever.)

This ban bossy movement is really about the terms that are used to hit where it hurts.  This does not need to be gender-specific....boys can hurt too.  

Facebook's Sheryl Sanderg is rolling ahead at banbossy.com with ideas and strategies to help the Girl Scout groups take charge of helping girls learn about self-esteem and what it truly means to be a leader. 

It's not about 'sucking it up', most of the time, we don't know this is happening to us at that age, because we don't know what we don't know

Banbossy.com about providing resources, teaching skills and developing the leader from within instead of waiting for the worst to happen and hoping that they will rise from adversity (because fact is, sometimes we/they don't!).


While this is aimed at girls, the words are the same for boys...and anyone else who says 'you can't'.



No comments: